In a massive coup for South Australia, Tennis Australia has today announced that Australian superstar and world no.1, Ash Barty will be taking centre stage at Memorial Drive this summer.
Barty will play at the brand-new Adelaide International – alongside the already announced world No.5, Simona Halep.
The week-long WTA and ATP combined tournament will take place at Memorial Drive from Sunday 12 January to Saturday 18 January 2020.
Premier of South Australia, Steven Marshall coined the announcement yet another coup for the state’s sporting scene.
“It is a massive boost for tennis in South Australia, and also an incredible achievement by the organisers to attract the world’s number one player to Adelaide,” he said.
“To have 120 of the world’s top male and female players here next January is also big tick for the State Government’s $10 million investment in the redevelopment of the Memorial Drive sporting precinct.
“We are expecting the event to inject significant economic expenditure into South Australia, in addition to a global television audience across 200 countries.
“The new-look Memorial Drive will take centre-stage globally, and give South Australians a chance to see their tennis heroes right here in Adelaide.
Minister for Recreation, Sport and Racing, Corey Wingard said he was thrilled that Ash Barty was competing right here in Adelaide.
“As I’ve said from the beginning, the new Memorial Drive redevelopment was always going to bring the best in the business to our beautiful State.
“Adelaide has not seen this level of Tennis talent grace our courts in over a decade, and I’m proud to be part of a Government which has prioritised and invested in Tennis.
Not only will Ash and Simona put on a world-class display on tennis, they will help inspire a whole generation of budding female tennis players across the State.”
“As I said last week when the first north-south canoe truss was installed at Memorial Drive, this new tournament and development of the Drive will hopefully lead to South Australia uncovering our new Lleyton Hewitt or Alicia Molik.
“The future of South Australian Tennis is as bright as it’s ever been and I’m sure the entire State is looking forward to cheering Ash on when the tournament starts in January,” Minister Wingard said.