Liberal Government gives thousands of South Australians cost of living relief

14.02.2019
Lower Costs

Nearly 34,000 South Australian households on low or fixed incomes are set to start receiving the State Government’s annual Cost of Living Concession payment this week, to help with expenses like energy and water bills.

The concessions provide $103.70 per household, totalling more than $3.5 million in assistance for 2019.

The cost of living concession payments come as the Marshall Liberal Government continues to deliver on its commitment to ease cost of living pressures for South Australians. These include:

• Delivering more affordable electricity

• Cutting the cost of ESL bills

• Doubling the value of sports vouchers to $100 for families to use towards the cost of sporting club fees or membership

• Plan to cap council rates

“The Liberal Government continues to deliver on its commitment to ease cost of living pressures for South Australians and we have already implemented a raft of positive changes providing relief to households,” said Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink.

Minister Lensink said concession payments are paid directly into bank accounts, to allow the funds to be put towards the household’s greatest needs.

“Every little bit helps and these concession payments will support vulnerable people in South Australia, with pensioners, retirees, people receiving payments from Centrelink and low-income households eligible to receive the payment,” said Minister Lensink.

“As a lump sum, the Cost of Living Concession gives recipients the flexibility to use the payment wherever it is most needed in their household, to support themselves and their families.

“Households can choose how they would like to use the payments and typically, the concession payment assists with expenses like electricity, gas or water bills and other day-to-day costs of living.”

Minister Lensink said tenants who received the concession last year will automatically receive this year’s payment, if their circumstances remain unchanged.

“Applications for the concession are open between July 1 and October 31 each year for those who are eligible, but have not received the payment in the past,” said Minister Lensink.

It is expected that all payments will be made by the end of February 2019.

Cost of Living Concession payments for eligible homeowners are made in August each year, or December – if the homeowner has applied for the first time.

For information on this and other State Government concessions visit www.sa.gov.au/concessions

Share this Article

More from Michelle Lensink MLC