Better Services

Sharing Image: 

Families have their say on the Quentin Kenihan Inclusive Playground

South Australian families have submitted their ideas and vision for the new Quentin Kenihan Inclusive Playspace at a family fun day held at Bonython Park Playspace today.

The City of Adelaide hosted South Australians of all ages and abilities at the free community event, which included face painting, a sausage sizzle and a quiet zone.

Earlier this year, the State Government committed $1 million to the City of Adelaide to build an inclusive play space commemorating the legacy of disability advocate, actor and family maker Quentin Kenihan in Rymill Park.

Fire Up! Excitement builds ahead of Adelaide Fire’s first home game of the new National Hockey Competition

South Australia’s Adelaide Fire hockey teams are gearing up for their first home games of the new national Hockey One Competition this Sunday.

Hockey One is a re-imagined elite domestic league and unifies the male and female teams under the same club name.

Adelaide Fire is one of seven national clubs involved in the inaugural competition and will host three home matchdays at the State Hockey Centre in Gepps Cross.

Sport and Recreation Minister Corey Wingard said it’s fantastic to see a South Australian club in this brand new domestic league.

Further Boost to Patient Care

A new Marshall Government initiative to help direct patients to the best possible care and avoid unnecessary time in hospital has helped to save an average of 40 occupied bed days per week since being implemented in March.

The 24/7 CALHN Integrated Care Coordinator (CICC) bridges the gap between hospital and community based care, providing a point of contact for GPs, SA Ambulance Service and other providers when seeking alternative care and rapid assessment options for patients who don’t need emergency care, but who would otherwise present to the Emergency Department.

Fewer people rough sleeping in Adelaide CBD

The number of people sleeping rough in the inner city has reduced in recent months – an encouraging sign that more people experiencing homelessness are being helped into stable housing.

The new data highlights how numbers can regularly fluctuate from month to month.

Minister for Human Services Michelle Lensink said that latest figures from the Adelaide Zero Project By-Name List showed that 163 people were identified as sleeping rough at September 18, compared to 208 in August, 226 in July, 215 in June and 227 in May.

Taking the Edge Off Emergency Department Pressures

The Royal Adelaide Hospital is helping older South Australians to recover quicker, and at the same time dramatically reducing hospital admissions and easing pressure on the emergency department.

Minister for Health and Wellbeing Stephen Wade said the Emergency Department Geriatric Syndromes Eighty+ (EDGE) program, which provides elderly patients with specialised treatment and care in the Emergency Department, is taking pressure off the hospital system.

Invaluable Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme keeping South Australians safer

The Liberal Government’s Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme trial has received strong uptake in its first 12 months of operation, demonstrating a vital need for the service which aims to protect women and children at risk.

Since the scheme began on October 2, 2018, the DVDS has received 252 applications by people at risk of, or experiencing, domestic and family violence.

Due to solid results of the scheme to date, the Marshall Liberal Government provided an additional $383,000 in the 2019-20 State Budget towards ensuring the scheme trial continues until June 30, 2020.

45 new jobs for SA to help with Australia's Triple Zero service

The Marshall Liberal Government has today welcomed an announcement made by Federal Communications Minister, Paul Fletcher and Telstra that Adelaide will be home to a new contact centre, employing 45 new people to utilise new digital technology relating to Australia’s Triple Zero service.  

The new centre is the third of its kind, with Melbourne and Sydney housing the first two centres.

Liberal Government secures Transport Subsidy Scheme certainty for South Australians living with disability

The Liberal Government has secured certainty for South Australian National Disability Insurance Scheme participants who use the SA Transport Subsidy Scheme, ensuring it continues in South Australia until longer term transport funding is resolved by the NDIS.

Following yesterday’s COAG Disability Reform Council meeting in Sydney, the longstanding nation-wide issue was resolved. The Federal Government agreed to fund the continuation of the State Government’s SA Transport Subsidy Scheme until 31 October 2021.

Oral Health Plan Released

Healthy mouths are the focus of the next seven-year South Australian plan for oral health being launched today.

Minister for Health and Wellbeing Stephen Wade said the South Australian Oral Health Plan (2019-2026) sets out priorities to improve the oral health of the State’s residents, particularly those most at risk of poor oral health.

“Overall oral health care in South Australia has improved in recent decades, however, the evidence shows that there are still areas of unmet need,” Minister Wade said.

Concept design revealed for new Whyalla Secondary School

The design for the new $100 million secondary school in Whyalla, which will combine the three existing government schools in the region, has been revealed today.

The new school build is part of the Marshall Liberal Government’s massive statewide investment in schools – the biggest by any State Government in South Australia’s history – which includes $1.3 billion in capital works funding.

Key features of the design of the new Whyalla secondary school include: