Better Services

Sharing Image: 

Personal protection app helping South Australian women facing domestic violence at home

A life-saving Liberal Government funded mobile phone app linking at-risk women directly to police and domestic violence services has been provided to 46 women since it went live in late November.

The personal protection app’s main safety feature includes a “duress feature”, which links women directly with authorities if they are at immediate risk of harm.

So far, the duress feature has been used 11 times by women in danger. Each time the feature is activated, the alarm alerts a 24/7 monitoring centre to contact SAPOL for a quick police response.

City South tram stop up and running again

The Marshall Government has announced that safety and accessibility have been improved at the new City South tram stop, which will reopen to passengers from first service Thursday, 1 August.

The $17.5 million City South Tramline Replacement Project ensures the tram stop meets Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) requirements, so is accessible for people living with disability.

The project also involved replacing and upgrading the tram line tracks on King William Street, between South Terrace and Victoria Square.

Rural medical workforce plan released

A draft plan to recruit, train and develop the medical workforce in rural areas of South Australia has today been released for consultation, as part of the Marshall Liberal Government’s Rural Health Workforce Strategy.

Minister for Health and Wellbeing Stephen Wade said the draft plan is a broad strategy to ensure we grow and strengthen our regional medical workforce and continue to deliver world-class care in rural areas.

Domestic Violence Scheme offers support to South Australians at risk

Nearly 200 requests for information have been made in the first eight months of the trial of the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme.

The Scheme began taking applications in October last year, with 186 requests lodged for information as at 30 June.

Attorney-General, Vickie Chapman said that just under a third of the applications came from people living in regional areas.

“Of the 186 requests, 60 per cent came directly from the person in the relationship, while the others came from a concerned third party,” Ms Chapman said.

SA to have standalone Surrogacy Laws for first time

Laws making it easier for South Australians to have a child through a surrogate will this week be introduced to State Parliament.

Attorney-General, Vickie Chapman said the Bill was developed in response to recommendations made in an independent review of the state’s surrogacy laws by the South Australian Law Reform Institute (SALRI).

“For some people, surrogacy is the only way to start a family of their own, and I believe it’s essential that we come up with a process that helps them while ensuring there are sufficient safeguards put in place,” Ms Chapman said.

Lyell McEwin Hospital ED upgrade revealed

Plans for the $58 million major redevelopment of the Lyell McEwin Hospital emergency department and Short Stay Mental Health Unit have been revealed and submitted for planning approval.

Minister for Health and Wellbeing Stephen Wade said the proposed plans will almost double the capacity of the emergency department to help cater for projected population growth in the north and increased demand.

Water-based activities at SA reservoirs moves closer

Water-based activities at South Australian reservoirs have taken another step forward with access to Warren, Bundaleer and South Para reservoirs expected in the coming months, and shoreline fishing to be allowed at Myponga in time for summer.

Warren and Bundaleer reservoirs, which are currently only accessible to those with an appropriate fishing permit, will have expanded access including hiking, cycling, picnicking and kayaking.

Upgrade works begin at WCH

Construction has officially begun to upgrade the Women’s and Children’s Hospital (WCH) as part of a $50 million sustainment program at the current site.

Premier Steven Marshall said the works will ensure South Australian children continue to receive world class care in modern facilities on the journey to a new WCH.

“The State Government has invested $550 million towards the first works of a brand new WCH, but we also want to make sure South Australian families have the best facilities while planning continues,” Premier Marshall said.

New National Parks and Wildlife Service launched

The Marshall Liberal Government has today launched the newly branded National Parks and Wildlife Service South Australia at a community event at Belair.

Premier Steven Marshall, who officially opened the event, said the State Government has a back-tobasics approach to the environment.

“The National Parks and Wildlife Service is about having boots on the ground to look after the state’s parks and wildlife,” said Premier Marshall.